Thursday, July 1, 2010

Book review: The Carrie Diaries


Just finished reading Sex and the City's prequel The Carrie Diaries by Candance Bushnell. It's an interesting enough read though I did find a few things a bit akward. Like given that I had been a careful viewer of the show and remember most episodes and even the little details of Carrie's past, it was a bit of a let down that these details did not actually fall into place. Which of course was not surprising since this book actually has nothing to do with the show. The book follows young Carrie Bradshaw as she's going through her senior year in high school. She wants to become a writer, gets accepted into Brown and daydreams of New York. The book also deals with her love life, she has a boyfriend Sebastian, whom she is madly in love with, but who cheats on her with her best friend and that's the end of it. Anyways, I enjoyed the book enough, sure. But it's definitely not one of those that I would either quote vigorously or return to every once in a while, but I am happy I had read it, though it's the kind of book I would have rather borrowed from the library (if our library had such books) than actually buy. Nonetheless, a carefree summer read.

No comments: